EngAGE changes lives by transforming affordable senior and multigenerational apartment communities into vibrant centers of learning, wellness and creativity.
EngAGE takes a whole-person approach to community and creative, healthy living by providing arts, wellness, lifelong learning, community building and intergenerational programs to thousands of seniors in affordable senior and multi-generational apartment communities in Southern California, Oregon and Minnesota.
EngAGE programs are provided onsite at each of our apartment communities, and are open to all residents at no charge. This reduces the primary barriers to engagement – cost and transportation – and maximizes our impact. When space is available, residents in other EngAGE communities are invited to participate. In some communities, we also invite the public to attend special events such as art show openings and concerts.
Founded in 1999 as More Than Shelter for Seniors, we have worked continuously as leading experts in aging arts programming. In the last few years, we have adapted to include multigenerational ages in our model. Our aim is to change lives across generations by transforming affordable housing into centers of community, learning, and well-being.
Here is a profile of the predominant population we serve: low- and moderate-income seniors between the ages of 55 and 100+.
- Average age: 77 years old
- Gender: 68% female
- Marital Status: primarily widows/widowers
- Race: 15% African American, 10% Asian American, 35% Caucasian, 20% Latino/Hispanic, 20% Multicultural/Ethnic (Russian, Eastern European, etc.)
- Average income: $10,800 per year
- Only 46% still own a car and fewer drive
- Only 16% are still employed
- Only 22% engaged in activity prior to EngAGE – 59% engage now