With 130+ members, the Encore Network is a gold mine of ideas, resources and kindred spirits. In early November, a highly-engaged group discussed new ways to help members connect and short-listed 2020 webinar topics.
New: Encore Roundtable. Think of this as cousin to a book group. We’ll host a bi-monthly, one-hour session with one person facilitating a discussion of an article, book, piece of legislation, or other worthy provocation. Participants can also contribute materials; we’ll package the info to share with the whole Network.
Next steps and timing: Helen Dennis, Ruth Wooden, Joe Casey are developing plans for our first Roundtable in February.
New: Coffee chats. Do you wish you had an easy way to meet a few members you don’t know? Check out our virtual coffee chats! We’ll help you connect for one-to-one, half-hour phone or video conversations. You can identify a specific member you want to meet, or have us suggest a few. Of course, you’re always welcome to contact any member directly.
Next steps and timing: In November, we’ll send a survey inviting interested members to raise your hands. In early January, John Orian and Betsy Werley will follow up with connections, so you can schedule your own calls.
New: learning community dedicated to individual transitions tools, workshops and resources. Elizabeth Mahler will organize a group to explore and discuss processes, structures and tools that other members use for individuals in transition, including types of programs, self-assessments, journals, etc.
Next step: Contact Elizabeth to say “I’m interested.” She’ll follow up from there.
Always-available ways to connect:
- Use the Network member directory: Go to the member-only page and search by individual name, organization name or location.
- Join the Encore.org Linked In group.
- Join the Network Facebook group, which has almost 200 participants and regularly updated content. Post a question, share news and see what others are up to.
Webinars: We identified three webinar topics for 2020. Contact Betsy Werley ([email protected]) to join the planning teams.
- Funding your encore program. John Orian and John Sweeney will help develop this program. Betsy will recruit others who have new ideas on this topic. Here’s a link to the Network’s 2017 Funding Your Encore Program powerpoint deck.
- Workforce issues, ageism and messaging. Building on the work of Reframing Aging and Changing the Narrative Colorado, Janine Vanderburg will speak about Changing the Narrative and the evolution of Reframing Aging. Doug Dickson and Mara Mayor are interested in leading.
- Trends. World Health Organization Decade of Healthy Ageing (2020 – 2030). Betsy will recruit WHO staff as presenters, possibly with Moira Allan and another global leader.
The Network continues to grow, thanks to your energy. We’re also attracting new members through your referrals and Encore.org connections. Together, we’ll make 2020 a year with even more impact!
Published: November 18, 2019